Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Walk To Remember (2002), Film Review

Adam Shankman’s
A WALK TO REMEMBER

Film Review by
Joanna Marie Tan

Casts:
Mandy Moore as Jamie Sullivan
Shane West as Landon Carter
Peter Coyote as Reverend Sullivan
Daryl Hannah as Cynthia Carter


I am a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks and I’m proud to say that I have read a lot of his books. I was so happy when I knew that his book, A Walk to Remember, will have a movie of its own. This is a story of a young, sweet, and lovely girl named Jamie Sullivan who is the daughter of a reverend in their town. She became secretly friends with a young, rebellious boy, Landon Carter, who, later on, falls in love with her. The story focuses on how one increases his/her faith to God when it’s put to a test. Jamie Sullivan reveals afterwards that she has leukemia, cancer of the bones and Landon will do everything to give her the miracle she hopes for.

I loved how Mandy Moore (Jamie Sullivan) portrayed her role. With her sweet voice and angelic face, she captured the hearts of everybody. She did exceptionally well on this film, depicting the role of a dying lady. Shane West (Landon Carter) did good too, but not as good as Mandy’s. I can see that with more internalization and practice, he also could be an excellent actor someday. The cinematography of the film, just the way it should be, was just the same with the typical type of ordinary color and lights that most of the movies use. It was more on bright natural lights. The settings of the film were not that extraordinary, those were just places that could be seen in town, dresses and other props used were not vintage as the book have storied.

Despite how I described the production design of the film as just an ordinary one, still, they have proven that even though they did not spent too much on these designs, still, they have made lots of viewers, especially me, cry our heart out till the end. The movie was great, especially with the music and sounds used. It’s just that the story of the book was much better than the story on the film. There were a lot of nice parts on the book that I wish they could’ve added in the movie. Still, the movie was great! I have watched it for the nth time and I still find it very heart-warming!

No comments:

Post a Comment